About this Training Course
People promoted from technical to managerial roles in the Oil & Gas industry often find it difficult to leave behind their specialist role and fulfil their new managerial role. They often get involved in too much detail and micro-management which leads to the inefficient use of resources.
Attending this practical 3-day course will enable participants to contribute as a manager for the success of the organisation. It covers specific problems many technical personnel have in assuming a managerial role using real, relevant examples as found in the oil & gas industry. It explains and documents the practices of the effective manager in a technical or engineering environment.
The course will also show how to organise a group of technical people for maximum effectiveness, how to match jobs with talent, how to delegate effectively and how to motivate for peak performance. This is a course that delivers real benefits in maximising workplace performance by leveraging your human resources.
This course uses questionnaires, exercises, case studies, presentations and group discussions in an active and participative way supported by reading and reference materials.
During the 3-day course, you will be equipped to:
- Identify your management style and its strengths and weaknesses.
- Learn key communication skills for managers.
- Improve the effectiveness and performance of your team.
- Adapt from team member to team leader in a technical environment in the oil & gas industry
- Develop a ‘toolbox’ of skills you can apply to any managerial situation.
- Work effectively with all personality types.
- Define priorities and organise work effectively through planning.
- Delegate appropriately and efficiently.
- Manage performance through effective objective setting and coaching.
The course is aimed at two groups of people:
- Engineers, scientists and technical professionals who are making the transition to a role with managerial responsibilities.
- Managers from a non-technical background who supervise technical professionals.
Specific job functions include:
- Engineering Supervisors
- Maintenance Engineers
- Project Engineers
- Production Managers
- Operations Manager
- Design Team Leaders
- Systems Engineers