About this Training Course
Time is money in all industries. For the Oil & Gas industry, this is no exception and the ability to maximise return on investment is all related to where the Oil is and how easily and quickly we can get that product to the customer. Whether in a technical, managerial or supporting role, you are a valuable asset in ensuring that project delivery targets are met and profits are realised. As Petroleum Engineering (PE) activities continue to increase, professionals like you must grasp the language and technology of PE operations in order to maximise expenditures throughout the producing life of a well.
Petroleum Engineering equipment and procedures have a unique language that must be conquered for maximum benefit. Clear and understandable explanations of rig equipment, completion equipment, operations procedures, and their complex interactions provide an excellent foundation for smooth communication and increased efficiency in inter-department project team efforts. A confident understanding of the technical jargon and a visual appreciation of the various pieces of equipment used provides for an overall “big picture” of the industry value chain. This serves as an excellent foundation for smooth communication and increased efficiency in inter-department project team efforts.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define the role of Petroleum Engineering and its interaction between other departments
- Describe terms used in the Oil & Gas industry such as Surface/Subsurface, Upstream, Midstream and Downstream
- Describe the Appraisal of Oil & Gas Discoveries, the Cost Estimations, Economics & Reserves
- Explain what is the Formation, how do we connect to it, and how do we ensure best value
- Describe how to construct a well, select the equipment & methods, understand the duration that the well is required to perform for
This course will benefit non-technical professionals and forward-looking executives in the following fields who are interested to enhance their knowledge and awareness of the drilling process for increased productivity and contribution to the team that they’re supporting:
- Business Development
- E & P IT
- Estimation & Proposal
- Finance & Administration
- General Management
- Joint Ventures
- Materials Planning
- Planning & Budgeting
- Supply Chain
- Tender Contract
- Drilling Fluids
Your expert course leader has nearly 40 years of experience in the Oil & Gas industry. During that time, he has worked exclusively in well intervention and completions. After a number of years working for intervention service companies (completions, slickline & workovers), he joined Shell as a well service supervisor. He was responsible for the day-to-day supervision of all well intervention work on Shell’s Persian/Arabian Gulf platforms. This included completion running, coil tubing, e-line, slickline, hydraulic workovers, well testing and stimulation operations. An office-based role as a senior well engineer followed.
He was responsible for planning, programming and organising of all the well engineering and intervention work on a number of fields in the Middle East. He had a brief spell as a Site Representative for Santos in Australia before joining Petro-Canada as Completions Superintendent in Syria, then moved to Australia as Completions Operations Superintendent for Santos, before returning to Shell as Field Supervisor Completions and Well Interventions in Iraq where he carried out the first ever formal abandonment of a well in the Majnoon Field. While working on rotation, he regularly taught Completion Practices, Well Intervention, Well Integrity and Reporting & Planning courses all over the world. In 2014, he started to focus 100% on training and became the Technical Director for PetroEDGE.
Since commencing delivering training courses in 2008, he has taught over 300 courses in 31 cities in 16 countries to in excess of 3,500 participants.
Recent assignments included the following:
• Field Supervisor based in Iraq
• Completions Operations Superintendent for Santos responsible for 4 Rigs, 2 Frac spreads, 2 CTU Units and various rigless operations, in excess of 300 major interventions per year
• Involved in rig assist Frac Operations in the 3rd largest CSG Field in the World
• Carrying out new technology analysis study for HFR Geo Thermal Wells
• Have also been on loan to a number of “Coded Projects” in Middle East for the purposes of preparing Wells Functional Specifications and Technical Specifications for
OCTG’s, Wellheads, Completion Equipment and all aspects of Well Services (Coil, Slickline, Well Testing etc)
• Utilised as a Regional Technical resource for input on Completions, Well Services & Well Integrity within the Middle East on behalf of Shell EPM
• Carried out a Global Support role reviewing Special projects, troubleshooting non-routine operations and acting as a Global Well Integrity Expert
• Actively delivered Distance Learning Support to newly recruited Well Service Engineers
• Middle East – Arranged a number of workshops and stack up tests for team building and service familiarisation to allow a seamless mobilisation of a multi-national, multi-cultural workforce about to engage in a series of offshore Hydraulic Workovers on the Persian Gulf
• Malaysia – Review, update and ensure accurate local content for the Wells Management System and roll out same during a series of team building exercises to ensure all personnel familiar with their responsibilities during all types of well operations
• Europe – Review and advise on content for a New Well Integrity Management System, conduct a number of roll out sessions to all personnel across 9 Business Units which further allowed the identification of key focal point personnel allowing for accurate KPI setting, reporting and improvement
• South America – Peer review existing company documents on behalf of a state owned O&G Company and advise on content for the preparation of a Well Integrity Management System which will encompass all onshore and offshore wells from Design, Completion, Operation and Subsequent Abandonment.
• UK – Compile a bespoke training course for Well Integrity, roles & responsibilities within the entire Production Operations Department both on and offshore for 7 Producing Platforms, this has taken the form of 28 x 2.5 days Classroom & Mechanical Workshop Courses
• Thailand – Review existing company documentation and support the compilation of a Competency Management System for Mechanical Wireline, Coiled Tubing & Hydraulic Workovers. This included the preparation of sample technical questions to allow assessors to accurately determine personnel competence levels, identify gaps and arrange suitable training
• South America – Conduct a design review on all water injection wells for a state owned company to focus on the “Why do these wells fail early” and make recommendations on new technical designs
• Middle East – Provide inhouse review of Well Integrity Management Systems, preparation of Well Failure Model, facilitate and conduct risk assessments on entire well stock
• Middle East – Prepare Wells Management Standards for Drilling, Completions, Interventions and Well Integrity
• Middle East – Provide remote support on Well Integrity Management System preparation and roll out, conduct peer reviews of existing systems and procedures and comment and offer solutions for future revisions
• Australia – Provide Peer reviews for Well Integrity Codes of Practice with relation to conventional and non-conventional well types onshore, shallow water and deepwater
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
Experienced and vast knowledge instructor.
Senior Well Intervention Engineer, PETRONAS Carigali
The trainer is an excellent trainer. He was successful in transferring knowledge to all the participants. He communicated very effectively with the participants and has shared many of his experiences related to this training. It was a great experience for me.
Well Integrity Engineer, BP Indonesia
The presentation was good. The trainer has tremendous experience in Well Integrity completion and Well intervention and these are beneficial for us to gain more knowledge and experience.
Well Integrity Engineer, BP Indonesia
Good job! The trainer knows his subject very well!