About this Training Course
Port pricing and tariff charging is a complex subject where several topics related to port demand and investment, planning and capacity, competition and strategy, and policy and regulation are dealt with simultaneously. For oil and gas terminals, the methods and applications of port pricing may vary widely depending on the types and operations of terminal and storage facilities, the sources and types of port finance, the structure and components of terminal and tank costs, port competition and the elasticity of port demand, and economic and technical regulations of port activities and services.
This 3-day intensive course provides the participants with a comprehensive and expert-level knowledge in pricing methods and applications in oil and gas terminals. The course is aimed at a wider audience of port stakeholders; oil and gas operators, terminal and tank operators, traders and investors, port authorities and government agencies, bunker providers and agents, shipping lines and transport operators, shipping agents and freight forwarders, logistics and port users.
The objective of the course is to provide participants with the skills and competencies necessary to understand and appreciate the various elements, methods and applications of port and tariff pricing in oil and gas terminals. Participants will be able to identify and acquire the skills and tools required for designing, implementing, managing, and monitoring port pricing; and to develop effective and dynamic pricing systems that adapt and respond to the rapidly changing market conditions.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the interplay between port pricing, finance, planning, operations, strategy and regulation
- Learn about global port costing and pricing models
- Learn about the types and structure of port and terminal costs
- Learn about the types and structure of port dues and charges
- Get equipped on the types and structure of tank storage fees
- Learn about the type and structure of price discrimination
- Examine price surcharges and adjustments
- Examine terminal pricing and charging regimes
- Examine cost-based versus congestion port pricing
- Learn about published versus contractual tariffs
- Explore strategic port pricing and price competition
- Understand multi-part & Ramsey tariff pricing
- Learn about tariff charging under concession arrangements
- Learn about tariff charging under regulated prices
- Examine treatment of subsidies and price promotion
This course will benefit:
- Terminal managers and operators
- Tank storage managers
- Port authorities
- Bunker operators
- Traders and Investors
- Port owners and developers
- Port investors and financing institutions
- Ship owners and operators
- Marine and nautical service providers
- Freight forwarders, charterers, and shipping agents
- Multimodal transport service providers
- International logistics operators
- Pricing control and competition regulators
- Transport planners and engineers
- Trading businesses and export management houses
- Business and management consultants
- Port and maritime economists
In addition to lecture modules, the course will include practical applications, group exercises, a modelling assignment and a case study.
Your expert course leader is an internationally-recognised port, maritime and transport logistics expert with advanced qualifications and over 23 years of international experience including periods in senior positions and as Consultant and Adviser to international terminal operators, global carriers and logistics service providers, international financial institutions, leading insurance and consulting firms, and several governments and multilateral agencies.
Following 17 years of a formal international career, he has operated for the past eight years as an Independent Consultant. He has been involved in more than 80 consulting projects and advisory services in around 90 countries. He has also been active in professional training and capacity building and has designed and delivered over 55 workshops and seminars for the port, maritime and transport logistics industries.
Parallel to his consulting and advisory activities, he has a strong interest in academic research and teaching. He has published six books and over 100 academic papers and policy reports, and has been teaching port, maritime and transport logistics courses to masters and PhD students. He is founder of and advisor to the Port Operations, Research and Technology Centre (PORTeC) and the Global Port Research Alliance (GPRA). He holds visiting academic positions at several leading universities including Imperial College, City University, UCL, LBS, MIT, Hong Kong Poly University, LMA, BITE, and UWI.
He is regularly called upon to advise governments, private firms, and international agencies on transport logistics issues. He has acted as consultant and advisor to global port operators including APM Terminals, HPH, DP World, ICTSI, and KGL; global carriers such as Maersk, CMA-CGM, Hapag-Lloyd, and UASC; leading 3PLs such as DHL, UPS, and Agility, major financial institutions such as the World Bank, EBRD, ADB, EIB, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, and BNP Paribas; and leading legal and insurance firms such as Fresh-fields, DLA Pipers, Lloyd’s of London, and the TT Club. His latest public appointments include port supply chain specialist to the UKTI, senior transport advisor to the EBRD, maritime transport advisor to the World Bank, specialist port adviser to the UK House of Commons, port policy advisor to the European Parliament, rapporteur to the Trans-European Agency, transport logistics advisor to the MEDA Forum, and transport logistics advisor to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
Learn what past participants have said about PetroEdge training courses
Course is very informative & beneficial for those working in port industry. Course presenter is very qualified & knowledgeable in the subject. Recommended.
Head Strategy & Risk Management, Penang Port Sdn Bhd
Keep up the good work!
Manager, Asian Supply Base Sdn Bhd
The topic of port pricing and tariff charging was very interesting and the speaker was a renowned international port expert. He provided a good analysis of port pricing regimes and their applications across world ports and tank farms, this will certainly help our port in the strategic price review
Executive Vice President Operations, Manila North Harbour Port Inc
The seminar provided a great overview of port systems and strategies for terminal operators and port authorities, and their impacts for my own business. The delivery was excellent and I enjoyed the practical sessions and group exercise